Friday 19 June 2015

Independent State of Camberwell Exhibition/ Conversas Camberwell

Venue for our exhibition on Copeland Road, Peckham:


Protest of Exhibition, opposite the exhibition:


My work:


Pop up shop in exhibition:



Solving and I wearing Molly Kempner's masks and Rebecca Sander's pin badge at the exhibition:


The independent state exhibition gave us a chance to showcase our work in an exhibition setting and collaborate our ideas, particularly with curation and deciding which work would compliment what. I think in future we will have learnt from this and will develop more effective curtain methods. The space was a derelict house which meant we had to arrange the work in a way that suits it and it was interesting to see things hung more playfully than it would have been in a clean white walled space.

Coversas Camberwell with talk from Ruth Pilston:


And puppet show by Solvieg:




And talk from David Cross:


This is the second of these series of talks that I've been to and in this one I was particularly proud to support my classmate Solvieg as she debuted her political puppet show. Conversas is a series of weekly open–talks for discussing projects and interests; everyone is welcome and entrance is free. It gives a chance for us to debate and talk through issues and opinions more openly than we get at our lectures and this time to think about my beliefs and why I make my work helps me to to justify my actions within my work and makes it feel more meaningful and for a cause. This week and last time I went the talks were political leaning towards anticapitalist movements. Until this term politics has been a subject I have avoided in fear of sounding stupid but I have come to realise that politics is all around us and unavoidable as it is not just the prime minister in the houses of parlement but its the issues we face every day such as the price of tampons or the choices about what to spend the university budget on. And if you have opinions about these issues, you are political.


No comments:

Post a Comment