Tuesday 16 February 2016

IPS

I've been thinking about my IPS. Realised I have been making a lot of things and have been thinking about why I've been making them, but not really saying those reasons out loud. I think it difficult to talk about my work as its often based on a kind of need to make things, rather than particular concepts. While I've been developing my work, I've been considering the things I thought about during my dissertation... Exploration of Decoration Through Concepts of Beauty and the Sublime. concluded in this dissertation that in my opinion, sublimity is based on feelings and therefore can be felt by anyone about anything that moves and immerses them in the right way. I explored artists that to me, had created sublimity and many of these artists had things in common such as an obsessive way of working and a connection with nature. The work that excited me most was the work that also had a connection with decoration.... or work which took decorative elements and made them culturally relevant again by making them into artworks. I connected to an observation I made that one does not need to understand the context of work in order to feel sublimity from it...because sublimity it a feeling and therefore it can't be controlled. I also liked the idea that sublimity was something that an artist put into a piece of work in order for someone else, the viewer to have those same feelings passed onto them.... So how does all this relate to my IPS? I want to use what I've learnt here in my making....I want to also harness the obsessive nature of sublime art by getting obsessed with a project as well....I want to attempt to do what the artists I wrote about and admired in my dissertation have done...

I have been making a lot of things using different types of wire, you may even say I'm becoming obsessed with it. Recently I have been basing these pieces on plant forms because of an external project for Kings Hospital. And as a reference to this I randomly picked up Abraham Munting Decorative Floral Engravings and have been using the plant forms in this book to inform my work...In my IPS I would like to continue creating the plant forms from the book with wire...I want to make then spontaneously and obsessively. There are over 100 plates in the book so I expect to make many sculptures, mostly hanging from the ceiling that can eventually be presented in the exhibition...Simultaneously I will continue to experiment as I have been with other decorative ways of working such as screen printing but I'm foreseeing that the sculptures will create an installation that can I guess be defines as my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment