Tuesday 17 September 2013

Kawaii


Kawaii, which I think means cute in Japanese was the name of an exhibition of Japanese and Greek art I saw during my stay in Athens this summer. The whole exhibition was really interesting but I've just uploaded some images of my favourite pieces. Just underneath the "Kawaii" image is an image by Hyon Gyon called "Portrait of someone" done with satin on panel. I thought this piece was interesting because I've never seen satin used this way. Right of this image is one of a dress with the word, "Kalemera" meaning "good morning" in Greek. Being one of the few words I learnt on my trip, I enjoyed seeing it. But I am interested to know what the relevance of this word is to the dress. Bottom left was pointed out to me by the curator of the exhibition when I explained I was an illustration student as it was done in colour pencil by the illustrator, Asako Masunouchi who I think he told me is Japanese living in Athens. Finally the bottom right image was the first piece that struck me as I walked into the gallery. It is called "The Tyranny of Time" by Maria Tsimbourla. I love the use of acrylic in it almost as if it were ink.


No comments:

Post a Comment