Saturday 21 September 2013

Martin Creed


I saw Martin Creed's exhibition in Hull this summer and although I don't think I liked his work at all, this piece stuck with me. I think its because these are words I've heard a lot. The British worry a lot. But I think the instruction "Don't Worry" is the most annoying thing a worried person can hear. If it was that easy to stop being worried don't you think I would've tried that already?! And I think what a lot of people fail to understand is that what I want when I'm upset, stressed, worried, is not for someone to try to solve my problem, to try and stop me being worried, for someone to just allow me to talk through my problems and listen and say "yeah I agree that sucks". I actually think British people enjoy worrying. And I don't think worrying is a problem; when I worry I get things done. So when I saw this instruction on the wall; I actually felt angry. How dare someone tell me how not to feel! Anyway, I don't know if that was Martin Creed's intention, but that was my response, and any emotional response you get from art is a good thing I guess...
Source: http://art-it.tumblr.com/page/221

No comments:

Post a Comment